Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chill Day at Wetherill and Mater Spei Church

July 13

Today Calypso and I chose to visit a couple of easy spots that I had already been to a few times, so it was mostly more laid-back than our usual shenanigans. First, to Fort Wetherill:

(if you're not familiar with the place, check out this post)


Found one more little triangle guy

There were at least three promposals written into stone. It's sweet but it ruins the view the slightest bit.

From the picnic area right outside of the fort.
And to the church:

Mater Spei is written on this wooden thing hanging from the ceiling.



Collapsing roof.









In the flooded basement.


And some shots from or of Calypso:









3 comments:

  1. Hello there! I was wonder how you got into Maria Mater Spei church? The front gate is shut, I have been hearing rumors about a path leasing to it, if you could respond, that would mean the world. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! When I was going there frequently, I noticed that the gate to the dirt road leading to the church was open during construction work down Freedom Trail Drive, and it was closed when the sun set and construction ended. Naturally I went when the gate closed to avoid running into any workers, but you could very easily just walk around the gate or jump it. If you really wanted, you could work you way through the brush into an overgrown path through the woods a bit south of the road (you can see the road, the church, and an outline of this path on Google Earth) which would take you right down to the church's southwest corner. However, I would caution anyone against going here. The last time I was at this church I was almost caught and had to hide in the basement for quite a while and sneak out through the path in the woods (read my post at https://worldinruin16.blogspot.com/2016/09/almost-caught-at-abandoned-church.html ). That was over a year ago and I haven't been back since. I did drive by the place a few times last fall and the walls seem to be still standing, but other than that I have no idea what's going around in or around the place.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete