Friday, July 8, 2016

Old Attleboro Train Station

Today all my companions were away so I decided to go to some easy and fun places alone. I started in Attleboro with the Old Train Station.

The entire railroad track area is fenced off and it's on a main road with many people walking and driving by, so jumping a fence wasn't an ideal option. However, after wandering around I entered the back of a building in the parking lot to find an (almost comically convenient) propped up ladder. I used that to sneakily climb up the wall behind the building and was able to walk up to the building itself. Here are my pictures:

From the street.
The front, or the side seen from the road.
The side.
The back from across the rails
I wouldn't try my weight on these stairs.

1 comment:

  1. george richard scarlett jrDecember 29, 2023 at 1:46 PM

    As a kid (10-15 yrs. old), myself and a few other "Hoodlums" would walk up those very steps to the Switching Tower and ask the switchman to give us the 'grand tour', whereupon he would happily do just that with gusto! His was a lonely job I imagine, so I guess he enjoyed "ANY" kind of an interruption from boredom, even a bunch of kids, "Golly Gee mister"? During this distraction, one of us (with the most bulky coat), would stand by the door (usually me), and load up with 'TRACK BOMBS'. These were essentially larger sized Fig Newton type packaged chunks of DYNAMITE, with two lead straps that were fastened to the rail, some distance from the station during heavy fog, to alert the engineer to when he was approaching the station! We then would enjoy placing them on large rocks, and pitching stones at them and exploding them!!! If our parents only knew!! I'm confessing this behavior for two reasons, 1.) I'm now 77 years young, and 2.) I'm sure that if the cops were tracking us down, by now any statute of limitations has long since run out!! Ha! I hope that the wise "Preservation Commitees" restore this grand old lady, and keep her 'Nostalgia' alive of a M U C H better time. God bless, the "Thief'!

    ReplyDelete