Saturday, July 9, 2016

Old Abandoned Bridge

Known around here as the "Stuck-Up Bridge," this bridge, also called The Seekonk River Bridge, Crook Point Bascule Bridge, or Ghost Bridge, has been abandoned and left in the "up" position since the 1970s. It is not open to the public, but on the more popular side a hole has been cut in the fence and many people come and go, at times going as far as to walk all the way toward the middle of the bridge over the water. On the other side, entry to the bridge is blocked by a fence with no trespassing signs, and is altogether difficult to reach because the east entrance to the bridge is enveloped in thorny woods.

I'd been to the main side twice before, but this time I walked all the way as far as I could go, then looked around the beach and steps below. I then went across the river to the other side of the bridge, where I had to cross a highway and pass through woods sans any trail to reach the fence which I hopped. I only got to take a few pictures at this end because a police boat took interest in me and I leaped over the fence, ran through the woods, and got outta town as soon as I could.

P.S.--The bridge connects to a rail tunnel which has also been abandoned since the '70s. You can see my post on it here where Calypso and I go through the whole thing.

The bridge from the Henderson Expressway, a nearby (active) bridge.







Notice how the boards are burnt up to charcoal? This seems to be the work of vandals, or perhaps lightning. On the other side of the river, I found similar charred support beams, which I speculate to be an attempt to bring down that side of the bridge via taking out its support by the local scoundrels.

Notice again all of the burnt wood here.




This wasn't the first time I've seen this little red guy--check out my post on Fort Wetherill.

This was the part left up. It makes one concerned that at any moment it could snap and come swinging back down.

Looking toward the other side across the river.

Looking north from the end of this side of the bridge.



Not very safe looking, but some have even climbed it.

From under the bridge:
There used to be another set of rails over this but they were taken away sometime in the '90s I think.






These tracks lead to an abandoned tunnel which I wanted to visit today, but a homeless man lives along the rails in the woods, so I went around so as not to disturb him

On the other side across the river, cutting through the woods:
Found in a nearby pond.
Abandoned tracks through the woods.





On my way from running from the police, I still had time to snap this quick photo.

Last shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment